Thursday, August 12, 2010

How Could We?.. How Couldn't WE???

This question we hear all the time is really weighing on me. How could we? I really can't imagine how we couldn't. I know our life is very hard for other people to understand or even imagine. I won't say its always easy because come on we have kids, is that ever easy? But what I can say is in this family life is amazing and we all have our days but more often then not life is great. So I ask you, how couldn't you? How couldn't you be that change that people so often want to be but never are because the effort is too much and it is so much easier to just give up and leave well enough alone.



I often don't know how to respond when people say how lucky our kids are. I admit on the surface it appears they are lucky but underneath that there is so much more to our kids. One day they will want more information about their birth parents that we will never be able to give them. The might not want to be Chinese American, Latin American or African American but they are. I don't know their family story aside from ours and I wish I did. I don't see any of the loss they have gone thru as lucky in fact today it is down right painful.



Chad forwarded me a story today about a lady with 22 kids most of them adopted and asked if I could ever see myself like that. Yes, Yes I can. The gift of family is amazing and the love of family can heal almost anything, years from now when our kids are looking for anwers to the questions that I fear the most as an adoptive parent they will have eachother to turn to for understanding and support.



Blessed yes they are...Blessed are we.

2 comments:

Coco said...

"Actually, if you think about it, ALL children who have permanent loving families are lucky. And while I understand that your comment is well intended, I just wouldn't want my child or any child to think that they have to be more grateful than any other for what ALL children deserve."
"To me, adoption is not a charitable act but a way for children to get to become part of a loving family. Children need permanent families and we wanted and needed to add a child to our family. There was nothing noble in making that decision, but we're certainly glad we had the opportunity to become parents to these wonderful children!"
Just a couple of quotes I thought you might find helpful. Then entire article they came from is really good reading and I'm trying to locate it online so I can send it your way. I have a copy on Paige's baby book to refer to often. Hang in there!

Unknown said...

Jess, I am absolutely humbled by you, your family and your willingness to give of yourself in the way you do. My heart bursts with pride when I talk about your family, and when I hear what and how you are doing! I am proud to know you!